Founded in 1968, Royal Caribbean International (RCI) today controls nearly 20% of the cruise industry. In 2011, the company was seeking to grow its business through innovative new ships, game-changing on-board experiences and exclusive island resorts and use branding to target and appeal to new cruisers: first-time cruisers, younger audiences and premium travel families. RCI partnered with WANT to help achieve its objectives through a progressive branding initiative – over 7 years.
- Brand strategy & positioning: Royal Caribbean brand
- Brand strategy, architecture, & naming: 15 ships
- Brand strategy & naming: 100 on-board elements & food/bev
- Brand research, strategy & architecture: Labadee Island, Haiti
- Brand strategy, naming & wayfinding: Perfect Day Island-Coco Cay
- Brand strategy, architecture & naming: Royal Suites Class
- Brand strategy, positioning & naming: Casino Royale (on board casino)
- Brand naming: Espresso travel reservation system
- Brand strategy, architecture, naming: Celebrity Cruises-Edge Class
- Brand strategy and naming: 50 on-board elements on Celebrity Edge
From 2011 to 2018 Royal Caribbean’s revenues grew from $7B to $11B.
Over the same period, Its stock price went from $23 to $113 and won numerous “best of” media and traveler awards.